Thursday 9 November 2017

I’d Like To Help You But…..




I’d like to help you but, frankly, I really couldn’t care less about you and your piddly little problems…..


Been to Sears lately? It’s turning into quite an adventure. It’s starting to feel like one of those escape room games that you play with a group of your friends except that there’s no object to this game and there are no clues to help you find the exit. In fact, there are people who are actively hiding the clues while you’re searching.

For those who don’t know, Sears Canada is going bankrupt and is about to close…. forever. It’s true. The store that brought you the most brilliant ad campaign ever conceived, “The Sears One Day Sale. This Friday And Saturday Only”, is soon to be just a memory. Their web site has already shut down and been replaced with an open letter explaining why it really wasn’t their fault and how they hope we can all still be friends. And in a few more weeks, the doors will be shuttered permanently. It's too bad. There was a time when it was a great place to shop.

One might think that this means there are bargains to be had. One might be wrong. I headed over to see if there were any deals on snowblowers. Craftsman makes a good snowblower and if I could pick one up at a good price I could hand my cantankerous, persnickety old one down to my son. (That’s what parents do) My wife and I walked into the store and there were banners everywhere proclaiming “25%-50% OFF THE ENTIRE STORE!” Excellent. I got up to where the snowblowers were on display and…. 10% off….. Ummmm, which part of “entire store” didn’t you understand? And I should point out that that is 10% off a price that started out 40-50% higher than comparable machines at Rona, Home Depot and Canadian Tire. Oh well. Our basement fridge is dying after 40+ years of faithful service, first in my parent’s home and now in ours. Maybe we can snag a deal on an inexpensive fridge for the basement….. 15% off.... (heavy sigh). Never mind. Well, at least the discount is headed in the right direction but, again, even with the discount, Costco is still cheaper. And, again, which part of “entire store” didn’t you understand? So there is (apparently) stuff that is marked down by 50%. It’s just that, based on empirical evidence, it’s not on display or available for sale.

However, IF you do manage to find a bargain on something you actually want to buy, it doesn’t mean that you actually can. That’s because you still have find someone willing to sell it to you. You see, part of the bankruptcy is that every employee is losing their job AND (and this is the biggie)….. their pension. Even people who are already retired will soon find that their monthly pension cheques have stopped arriving. There are people in their 80s who put in 40 years of gainful employment at Sears and have been enjoying their well-deserved, pension-funded retirement for decades. Not anymore. I tried to count the number of ways that this is wrong, but I ran out of fingers and toes. And as these stories go, while the staff gets fleeced, you can rest assured that the high mucky-mucks, whose incompetence caused the bankruptcy in the first place, will certainly be driving away in dump trucks full of cash. That’s the way it works.

What this means for you the consumer is that the people who are still working in the stores are really happy with the hand that’s been dealt to them. NOT! And I don’t blame them. I don’t blame them one little bit. However, this means that your interactions with the remaining store staff are going to be, well, let’s call them “interesting.” You see, the staff really couldn’t care less if you buy anything or not and they’re not particularly interested in helping you achieve the status of “Customer who successfully made a purchase.” They’re getting screwed. They’re really ticked off. Don’t expect them to smile about it.

Now Sears has always played an excellent game of “hide the cash register.” How many people have spent hours wandering helplessly around the store looking for a checkout station that wasn’t covered in cobwebs and adorned with a sign saying This station closed. Please locate another station. I once bought a set of Craftsman sockets from the woman working at the perfume counter (there’s always someone at the perfume counter). And it was on a different floor! But she was the only person I could find in the entire store who was capable putting a charge on my credit card. So I walked sheepishly to her counter, feeling more like a 13-year-old boy asking a girl for a first date, and said, with cracking voice, “Will you sell these to me?” For a minute I thought she was going to send me back upstairs to continue my quest but she must have felt sorry for me so she said okay. Is that what they call a “pity sale”?

But now they’ve taken “hide the cash register” to epic proportions. Last week, I found something I wanted and asked a salesman if I could pay him for it. He said no. So I asked where I should go to pay because I had been wandering the floor for about 20 minutes and couldn’t find an open till anywhere. I was starting to understand how Moses must have felt. The directions he gave me had me thinking that all of the cash registers were now located somewhere in the parking lot. That or the food court. They were both in the same general direction. He eventually just pointed to the other side of the floor and said, “Just look over there” and walked away. Happy happy happy…..!

However, in my travels through the store I did stumble upon a dining room table that would have looked great in my son’s cavernous, albeit mostly empty, dining room. It was marked down a whopping 70%! I FOUND THE BARGAIN!! I FOUND THE BARGAIN!! One deal in the entire store, and I found it! (I was so proud) And it was a steal! So I brought my wife up to see it and she agreed. So we texted our son and he went and saw it on his way home from work and, wonder of wonders, found someone willing to sell it to him (muffled gasp).

They didn’t have any in stock but said they could bring one in in a few days. He didn’t want to pay for delivery (he owns a truck) so he was instructed to call the loading dock the day before the promise date to make sure it had come in. Because my son spends a good part of his workday inside a $60,000 environment suit, phone calls can be problematic. So my wife offered to make the call for him.

(This is where it gets “interesting”)

The day before the promise date, at the duly appointed hour, my wife called the loading dock. No answer. She waited a few minutes and called again. Still no answer. She called a third time and this time decided to just let it ring. And it worked!….. well, sort of…… Auto transfer kicked in and rerouted her call to….. footwear….. because, you know, when you combine loading dock and dining room table, the first thing that always comes to mind is……. footwear. Right?

She then found herself explaining to a shoe salesperson why she had called them about a dining room table that was supposed to be in the loading dock. Apparently, the shoe lady didn’t make the logical, not to mention obvious, connection between loading dock, dining room furniture and shoes (go figure) so the reason for the call had to be explained several times.

Thirty minutes into the call I stuck my head into her office and asked, “Are you having fun yet?” I sometimes take pleasure in listening to one side of a telephone conversation and trying to figure out what’s happening at the other end. And I have to confess that this was one of those times. I know. I’m a bad husband. But it really was funny! The look on her face was worth it all by itself. You know that things aren’t going well when you start hearing the explanation for the call being repeated for the 3rd (4th…. 5th…. 9th….) time. Periodically, the person on your end of the phone will look over at you and make a face that really makes you wish you had a camera handy (“Oh, this one’s going on Facebook……”).

When the call finally ended, Debbie was just shaking her head. “What happened?” I asked (perhaps a little too gleefully). After dancing on the phone for more than half an hour, the Sears person had finally offered to take our number and get someone to call us back. She then asked the most remarkable question. She said, “What name would you like me to put down or would you rather I just say ‘random mysterious lady’.” (I am NOT making this up!) Debbie has always been a little mysterious. I like that. But Random is new. So, from now on, I’m calling her Random. (“Good night, Random! Sleep tight.” “Feel like going out for lunch, Random?”). Ah, marital bliss! And in case you’re wondering, the callback never came but the table, did. And Random and I and our son all think it looks great!

So, just to sum up, if you’re looking to kill an afternoon with some “interesting” conversation and maybe a quest or two, I highly recommend heading down to Sears. And always remember,

THERE’S MORE FOR YOUR LIFE AT SEARS*


* (but only for another six weeks)








No comments:

Post a Comment